Monday, July 11, 2011

Kevin Was Right

I would like to start this post by saying that God is good.  I spent the weekend at the beach with my youth group.  We stayed at a place called Myrtle Beach Christian Retreat.  Our first night there, a guy named Kevin went through an orientation with us.  One of the things he said was, "A lot of cool [spiritual] things have happened here."  I think it's safe to say that most of us were in immediate disbelief.  But boy, were we wrong.  The most amazing things happened this weekend and I'm still in awe at how God works.  We got there Friday afternoon and went straight to the beach.  After playing a little bit, we went and checked in to the retreat and hung out till dinner.  Afterwards we had orientation with Kevin and then we went to Broadway on the Beach!  We got ice cream, went on some rides, took lots of pictures, and walked A LOT.  The next day we stayed at the beach most of the day except for a couple of hours at the pool. That night we had communion and a foot washing service.  Ryan, our youth leader, has washed our feet once before and we all bawled, so naturally, as soon as the tub of water came out, tears started pouring.  God was present.  Ryan washed all of our feet and told each of us "If I do not serve you, I do not love you."  I personally have been struggling with submitting to God's Will.  But now, I feel that what God is asking me to do is a way of Him serving me.  He's guiding me so that I will have a better future.  Now that is love.  Ryan gave us a moment to pause and to speak if we wanted to.  I knew God was urging me to say the 3 things that were constantly popping up in my head, but I couldn't gather the courage.  Then Ryan asked if there was anything that was running through our head, over and over again.  At this point I just smiled.  It's like, "Alright, God.  I get it. You want me to say it."  So I did.  "Have Your way in me, Lord.  I am so unworthy.  Thy Will be done." Submitting to God's Will is not easy, but you have to remember that God's plan is better than yours.  His plan will prosper you and not harm you.  Though it's hard, I have a strange peace.  Throughout the rest of the night it was one answered prayer after the next.  My heart was overjoyed.  I couldn't stop saying thank You.  Our youth group set out on this trip for two main reasons.  One, to re-group with one another and God. Two, to have fun.  I am extremely happy to say that these two goals were accomplished.  Although we didn't believe Kevin, he was right:  cool things did happen.

Now it's time for pictures :)


Something I want to do one day.

Everytime I capture an animal or insect, I like to think they are posing for me :)

A friend of mine, Sarah, and I went walking around the retreat center to get some pictures (she also likes photography).  This is a handful of her favorite flowers.

Photography by Sarah.


Photography by Sarah.


Photography by Sarah.

I'm not sure what this is, but it looked cool.


There were a lot of dead jellyfish washed up on shore.

Dead things are pretty fascinating.

Photography by Sarah.  Catepillar bites :)

Flower leaf.

Another flower leaf.

Haha, this lighthouse was at Broadway and I edited it so there was nothing but black all around it.  But it needed something and thats when I spotted fireworks on Picnik.  So I had a little fun with this picture :)

Pretty lights!

"Can ye fathom the ocean, dark and deep, where the mighty waves and the grandeur sweep?" ~ Fanny Crosby

Swirly

I edited this one twice.

This is the original.

The ocean is breath-taking-ly beautiful.

At Broadway.

Sea shells!

Sarah drew this :)

I heart apples. haha

Some random guy made this drip castle.  I'd never heard of a drip castle before so Sarah and I made one.  Our's wasn't as cool as his though.

This is John's sand castle that he worked really hard on :)

Colors!

This one reminds me of a pearl.

A few of the youth went on that huge swing ride.  I thought it made a cool picture.

Awesome tree.

I love how the bark criss-crosses on the tree.

Sky

Feet in sand.  (Toes painted by Sarah haha)
Two things I would like to say.  If you have never danced in the rain wearing a dress or jumped into the ocean fully clothed, do it.  I did both of these this weekend and there's just something magical about it :)

Song of the weekend: I Hope You Dance ~ Lee Ann Womack
"I hope you still feel small when you stand beside the ocean."

1 comment:

  1. I'll never forget this awesome God-filled trip. I'm so excited to see what God has in store for our group! :)

    ReplyDelete